Wednesday, February 26, 2014

when the gods have no reason

Here the ridges are words,
And on the last day
Night became
Like water in the stillness.
We searched for meaning where there was none
and sufficed in the
Flesh form as only promise.

I sunk my covet
In the ground of an apparition,
Modeled on a man
Wealthy as a teacher,
Or treacherous arbitrator; my
Healthy ambition restless
And needing of an answer
Which would not save.

We control nothing and
In nothing we bring anchor
Against torpid reason.

But now is my kingdom.

I revisit my half traveled regret,
Availed of nothing.

What is enough?

Grand ambition, architect,
an irony composed as our life
Would become of truth.

Instead I slip inland
Looking for your mad mother
Or mine, or my father
In hollow halls
In the wood paneled rooms
Emblazoned with owls.

Now I guard against
the pursuit of the things of earth
Erstwhile magnified in the
Material of bodies
And closet the hearth,
A barren witness,
To the heart troubled
When the gods have no reason.

11/7/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment